While going about your daily household tasks you have probably stopped to consider the effects of the synthetic compounds in your household cleaners or dryer sheets. More than likely you have also wondered if these mystery ingredients are even safe to use.
Young Living’s pure natural essential oils can eliminate these concerns when you incorporate them into your daily household routine. Replacing man-made synthetics with natural, plant-based essential oils removes questionable ingredients from your home and adds countless benefits; they’re sure to safely and naturally enhance your experience.
Household Cleaning with Essential Oils
It can be daunting to live a healthier lifestyle, and one of the last areas you may think to change is your cleaning products. Most modern cleaning products require certain chemicals and surfactants (or cleansing agents) to make them work, and you should know what they are and their potential affects. It’s also important to find ways to limit your exposure to these toxins, and learn about safe, effective alternatives.
Brief run-down of some common chemicals in cleaning and personal care products
- DEA (Diethanolamine)—Found in more than 600 home and personal care products, such as shampoos, conditioners, bubble baths, lotions, cosmetics, soaps, laundry and dishwashing detergents. Suspected of carcinogenic activity (causing or contributing to cancer) or of being potentially dangerous or hazardous to health.
- Propylene Glycol—The main ingredient found in anti-freeze; also common in shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions, toothpastes, processed foods, baby wipes, and many more personal care items. Implicated in contact dermatitis, kidney damage, and liver abnormalities; can inhibit skin cell growth in human tests and can damage cell membranes causing rashes, dry skin, and surface damage.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)—Industrial uses include concrete floor cleaners, engine degreasers, and car wash detergents. Also found in shampoos, liquid soaps, conditioners, cleansers, toothpaste, and children’s personal care products. SLS is found in nearly all toothpastes, and is absorbed through skin contact and retained for up to five days.
- Talc—Chemically similar to asbestos, talc has been inked to ovarian cancer. It’s found in many body and baby powders, as well as many cosmetics.
- Alcohol—Most mouthwash products have a higher alcohol content than most alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, etc). Mouthwash products with alcoholic content greater than 25 percent have been linked to cancers of the mouth, tongue, and throat. Alcohol acts as a solvent inside the mouth, making tissues more vulnerable to carcinogens.
Essential Oil Cleaning Solutions
It may not be possible or cost effective to avoid all of these chemicals in your cleaning and personal care products, but there are plenty of ways to reduce your family’s exposure to them. Using pure unadulterated essential oils is a safe, effective alternative to many store-bought cleaning products.
Popular single essential oils for cleaning include: Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Thyme, Spruce, Lemon, Lemongrass, Grapefruit
Popular essential oil blends for cleaning include: Thieves, Purification, Citrus Fresh
Making your own household cleaning and air freshener solutions is super easy!
If you can boil water or make toast, you can make your own all-natural and pure household cleaning products.
Ideas for making your own powerful, natural cleaning solutions:
Essential Oil Household Cleaner
Fill a spray bottle with water and a squirt of dishwashing soap.
Add 3–5 drops each of lavender, lemon, and pine essential oils.
Essential Oil SoftScrub Recipe
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 15-20 drops essential oil (good choices are: Thieves, Citrus Fresh or Purification)
In a small bowl, add baking soda then essential oil. Stir ingredients well. Sprinkle mixture onto dampened sink or tub, scrub with sponge or cleaning cloth. Rinse.
If you have extra of this mixture leftover, put a lid on your container and store it under the sink for next time you clean.
You can double the recipe too so you won’t have to make a batch as often.
Sanitizing Essential Oil Floor Cleaner
Add 1/4 cup white vinegar to a bucket of water. Add 5–10 drops lemon, pine, spruce, Melaleuca, or Purification essential oil.
Kitchen and Bathroom Air Freshening Spray
- 1 quart spray bottle
- 4 drops Rosemary
- 8 drops Lemon
- 3 drops Eucalyptus
- 4 drops Lavender
Put water into spray bottle, add each of the essential oils. Shake before using.
This spray can be used to clean all surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom. It also makes a lovely air freshener and is particularly useful for when the cold and flu bugs are going around.
Tip: a 4oz. spray bottle can be used to make a mini version of this to leave in the bathroom for instant air freshening as needed.
Window Cleaner Recipe
- 1 quart spray bottle
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- 10-15 drops of Lemon or Peppermint essential oil
Add vinegar to the spray bottle, water and essential oil. Shake and use.
Use a drop or two of Lemon essential oil on stains, let stand and rub off with a clean cloth or throw into laundry cycle.
Or, try Thieves Household Cleaner – put a dab of the concentrate on the stain (quite often works on old grease stains too), rub in, let sit for a minute and launder. Tip: do not let the Thieves Cleaner stay full strength on a stain for more than a couple minutes before laundering.
Lemon Tip to Clean and Preserve Fresh Produce
After returning home from grocery shopping, in a clean dishpan add enough water to cover fresh produce, then add 4-8 drops of Lemon essential oil, add produce to the dishpan. Let soak for 20 minutes or so, drain and pat dry produce. Place produce in the fridge until ready to use.
The lemon oil will kill bacteria and fungi that cause produce to turn bad quickly.
Making Essential Oil Dryer Sheets
Instead of using toxic and irritating dryer sheets take a dampened washcloth with 5-10 drops of lavender, lemon, melaleuca, bergamot, Thieves, Purification or Citrus Fresh (or another favorite YL essential oil), toss into the dryer, dry laundry as normal.
While the essential oils will not reduce static cling, they will impart a lovely fragrance to the clothes.
Tip for Static Cling: static cling is a result of over-drying, simply adjust the temperature and time levels until you find the combination that ends static cling – simple and saves money too.
Ridding Dust Mites
Recent research has shown that eucalyptus essential oil kills dust mites that can live in bedding.
Add 25 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil to each load of laundry for an effective dust mite deterrent.
Hot Tubs and Saunas
Use 3 drops per person of lavender, cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, thyme, lemon, or grapefruit to disinfect and freshen the water.
For saunas, add several drops rosemary, thyme, pine, or lavender to a spray bottle with water and spray surfaces. This water can also be used to splash onto hot sauna stones.
Tiny Ant Repellant Recipe
- 1 quart spray bottle
- 15 drops Purification essential oil blend
- 10 drops Peppermint essential oil
Fill spray bottle with water, add essential oils, shake, spray.
Tip: if spraying is not practical (in cabinets), simply put several drops of both Purification and Peppermint on a cotton ball and set the cotton ball in a corner of the shelf of the cabinet. Peppermint is also known to deter rodents.
Shopping List: Most Popular Essential Oils for Cleaning
- Lavender essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Pine essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Thieves® essential oil blend
- Purification™ essential oil blend
- Citrus Fresh essential oil blend
- Thyme essential oil
As you can see, making your own products is very simple, not to mention extremely cost efficient! Most of the recipes above use water or other inexpensive kitchen ingredients mixed with the essential oils.
A 15ml bottle contains about 250 drops of essential oil which means you can make your own natural cleaning products for a fraction of what is being sold in the stores as all-natural.
We highly recommend incorporating Young Living essential oils into your daily life.