It’s only Wednesday, but your body feels like it’s Friday night, 10pm. You’re exhausted, and everything you own hurts, from your 10 little piggies to the top of your head. You’re balancing your checkbook in your head, figuring out the food shopping list, and dreading the weekend cleaning and chores. As you slip into bed, wondering if you can shut your brain off long enough to get a few hours of sleep, you realize your feet really do hurt, your back is quite sore, and your neck and shoulders are stiff as a board, holding all of your tension. Great, now what do you do?
A full body massage would be heavenly, but it’s 10pm, so that’s not happening. Well, if you enjoy the benefits of Young Living essential Oils, you’ve most likely got a case full of oils sitting at the ready. Now what do you do? A foot or hand massage is a quick, fantastic idea, and, if you’ve got a partner or child old enough, they can give you a back, neck, head, hand or foot massage. But, which essential oils are the best essential oils for your foot or hand massage?
My personal favorite is a foot massage, every time. We take our feet for granted, they get us where we need to go, and then we promptly forget about them. We carry a lot of stress in our feet, but really, very few of us pay them any attention at all. I can promise you, if you get a foot massage, it feels so good that it can and will relax our whole body, and you’ll want one every day. When I’m alone, I use a tennis ball or my nubbed hand held back massager to do my feet.
Our feet and hands, have trigger points or reflexology points, related to every organ and part of our body in them, for example, there is a reflexology point on your foot for your kidneys, your head, your spine, your heart, etc.. Therefore, if you get a foot massage, it’s like getting a full body massage, and often produces a very deep state of relaxation and relief, while at the same time making you feel more focused and aware. It can positively affect every organ as well as remove excess fluid and increase circulation. Here is a fantastic interactive site relating foot and hand areas to parts of the body. (chart).
Massage and therapeutic touch have long been part of both physical and emotional healing. When essential oils are combined with massage, the benefits are numerous. Massage improves circulation, lymphatic drainage, and aids in the elimination of tissue wastes. The oils bring peace and tranquility as well as keen mental awareness. Massage opens and increases the flow of energy, balancing the entire nervous system and helping to release physical and emotional disharmony. The unrefined carrier vegetable oils are rich in fat-soluble nutrients and essential fatty acids.
When selecting oils for injuries, think through the cause and type of injury and select appropriate oils (there are many more oils not mentioned here that are organ specific).. For instance, tendonitis could encompass muscle damage, nerve damage, ligament strain/tear, inflammation, infection, and possibly an emotion. Therefore, select an oil or oils for each potential cause and apply in rotation or prepare a blend to address multiple causes. The emotional distress may be anger or guilt. The oils in Ortho Sport and Ortho Ease Massage Oils reduce pain and promote healing.
When performing acupressure treatment, apply 1 – 3 drops of essential oil to the acupressure point with finger. Using an auricular probe with a slender point to dispense oil can enhance the application. Start by pressing firmly and then releasing. Avoid applying pressure to any particular pressure point too long. You may continue along the acupressure points and meridians or use the reflexology or Vita Flex points as well. Once you have completed small point stimulations, massage the general area with the essential oil.
This technique consists of applying multiple oils one at a time. For example, place marjoram over a sore muscle, massage it into the tissue gently until the area is dry, and then apply a second oil, such as peppermint, until the oil is absorbed and the skin is dry. Then layer on the third oil, such as basil, and continue massaging.
Creating a Compress
- Rub 1 – 3 drops of essential oil on the location, diluted or neat, depending on the oil used and the skin sensitivity at that location.
- Cover the location with a hot, damp towel.
- Cover the moist towel with a dry towel for 10 – 30 minutes, depending on individual need. As the oil penetrates the skin, you may experience a warming or even a burning sensation, especially in areas where the greatest benefits occur. If burning becomes uncomfortable, apply a massage oil, vegetable mixing oil, or any pure vegetable oil such as olive or almond, to the location. A second type of application is very mild and is suitable for children, or those with sensitive skin.
- Place 5-15 drops of essential oil into a basin filled with warm water.
- Water temperature should be approximately 100ºF. (38ºC.), unless the patient suffers neurological conditions; in this case, use cool water.
- Vigorously agitate the water and let it stand for 1 minute.
- Place a dry face cloth on top of the water to soak up oils that have floated to the surface.
- Wring out the water and apply the cloth on the location. To seal in the warmth, cover the location with a thick towel for 15 – 30 minutes.
The oils listed below are only for Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils. I would not use another brand, and if you did, you would not get the same beneficial effects.
- Cypress: Medical Properties: Improves circulation and strengthens blood capillaries; anti-infectious, antispasmodic; discourages fluid retention USES: Diabetes, circulatory disorders, cancer (Jean Valnet, M.D.), grounding, stabilizing
- Elemi: Medical Properties: Improves circulation and strengthens blood capillaries; anti-infectious, antispasmodic; discourages fluid retention USES: Diabetes, circulatory disorders, cancer (Jean Valnet, M.D.), grounding, stabilizing
- Eucalyptus Globulus: Respiratory/sinus infections, decongestant, rheumatism/arthritis, soothe sore muscles
- Fennel: Medical Properties: Antidiabetic, anti-inflam – matory, antitumoral, estrogen-like, digestive aid, antiparasitic (worms), antiseptic, anti – spas modic, analgesic, increases metabolism USES: Diabetes, cancer, obesity, arthritis/ rheumatism, urinary tract infection, fluid retention, intestinal parasites, menstrual problems/PMS, digestive problems
- Grapefruit: Medical Properties: Antitumoral, metabolic stimulant, antiseptic, detoxifying, diuretic, fatdissolving, cleansing for kidneys, lymphatic and vascular system, antidepressant. Rich in limonene, which has been extensively studied for its ability to combat tumor growth in over 50 clinical studies. USES: Alzheimers, fluid retention. depression, obesity, liver disorders, anxiety, cellulite
- Juniper: Medical Properties: Antiseptic, digestive cleanser/stimulant, purifying, detoxifying, increases circulation through the kidneys and promotes excretion of toxins, promotes nerve regeneration USES: Skin conditions (acne, eczema), liver problems, urinary/bladder infections, fluid retention
- Lavender: Medical Properties: Antiseptic, antifungal, analgesic, antitumoral, anticonvulsant, vasodilating, relaxant, anti-inflammatory, reduces blood fat/cholesterol, combats excess sebum on skin USES: Respiratory infections, high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, menstrual problems/PMS, skin conditions (perinial repair, acne, eczema, psoriasis, scarring stretch marks), burns, hair loss, insomnia, nervous tension
- Lemongrass: Medical Properties: Antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory, regenerates connective tissues and ligaments, dilates blood vessels, improves circulation, promotes lymph flow USES: Bladder infection, respiratory/sinus infection, digestive problems, parasites, torn ligaments/muscles, fluid retention, varicose veins, salmonella
- Marjoram: Medical Properties: Its muscle-soothing properties help relieve body and joint discomfort. May also help soothe the digestive tract and is a general relaxant. Antibacterial, antifungal, vasodilator, lowers blood pressure, promotes intestinal peristalsis, expectorant, mucolytic. USES: Arthritis/rheumatism, muscle/nerve pain, headaches, circulatory disorders, respiratory infections, menstrual problems/PMS, fungal infections, ringworm, shingles, sores, spasms, and fluid retention
- Myrrh: Medical Properties: Powerful antioxidant, antitumoral, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antiparasitic, analgesic/anesthetic USES: Diabetes, cancer, hepatitis, fungal infections (Candida, ringworm, eczema), tooth/gum infections, skin conditions (chapped, cracked, wrinkles, stretch marks)
- Oregano: Medical Properties: Powerful antioxidant, antitumoral, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antiparasitic, analgesic/anesthetic USES: Diabetes, cancer, hepatitis, fungal infections (Candida, ringworm, eczema), tooth/gum infections, skin conditions (chapped, cracked, wrinkles, stretch marks)
- Peppermint: Medical Properties: Anti-inflammatory, antitumoral, antiparasitic (worms), antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, gallbladder/digestive stimulant, pain-reliever, curbs appetite USES: Rheumatism/arthritis, respiratory infections (pneumonia, tuberculosis, etc), obesity, viral infections (Herpes simplex, herpes zoster, cold sores, human papilloma virus etc.), fungal infections/Candida, digestive problems, headaches, nausea, skin conditions (itchy skin, varicose veins, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis), scoliosis/lumbago/back problems
- Pine: Medical Properties: Hormone-like, antidiabetic, cortisone-like, antiseptic, lymphatic stimulant USES: Throat/lung/sinus infections, rheumatism/ arthritis, skin parasites, urinary tract infection
- Rosewood: Medical Properties: Antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, antifungal, stimulant, improves skin elasticity. USES: Fungal infections/Candida, skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis) Fragrant Influence: Empowering and emotionally stabilizing.
- Sage: Medical Properties: Antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, antifungal, stimulant, improves skin elasticity. USES: Fungal infections/Candida, skin conditions (eczema, psoriasis) Fragrant Influence: Empowering and emotionally stabilizing.
- Spearmint: Medical Properties: Increases metabolism, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, mucolytic, gall bladder stimulant, digestive aid. USES: Obesity, intestinal/digestive disorders, hepatitis
- Tangerine: Medical Properties: Antitumoral, relaxant, antispasmodic, digestive aid, and circulatory enhancer. Rich in limonene, which has been extensively studied for its ability to combat tumor growth in over 50 clinical studies. USES: Obesity, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, liver problems, digestive problems, parasites, and fluid retention
- Vetiver: Medical Properties: Antiseptic, antispasmodic, relaxant, circulatory stimulant USES: ADHD, anxiety, rheumatism/arthritis, depression (including postpartum), insomnia, skin care (oily, aging, acne, wrinkles)
- Wintergreen: Medical Properties: Anticoagulant, antispasmodic, highly anti-inflammatory, vasodilator, analgesic/anesthetic, reduces blood pressure, all types of pain. Methyl salicylate, the principal constituent of wintergreen oil, has been incorporated into numerous linaments and ointments for muskoskeletal problems. The oil is also used as a flavoring agent in candies and chewing gums.
- Yarrow, Blue: Medical Properties: Anti-inflammatory, hormone-like, combats scarring, prostate support USES: Prostate problems, menstrual problems/ PMS, varicose veins
- Ylang Ylang: Medical Properties: Antispasmodic, vasodilating, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, antiparasitic, regulates heartbeat USES: Cardiac arrhythmia, cardiac problems, anxiety, hypertension, depression, hair loss, intestinal problems
- Aroma Life Improves cardiovascular, lymphatic, and circulatory systems. Lowers high blood pressure and reduces stress.
- Awaken Enhances inner self-knowledge in order to make desirable transitions assisting to reach one’s highest potential. Stimulates the creativity of the right brain, amplifying the function of pineal and pituitary glands in balancing the energy centers of the body. Helps open up our true and complete selves.
- Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus) is antiseptic and combats intestinal parasites and urinary tract infection. It is antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, and prevents fermentation.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has been traditionally used to combat nausea and and gastro-intestinal fermentation. It is antispasmodic, antiseptic, and combats indigestion.
- Anise (Pimpinella anisum) is antispasmodic, antiseptic, stimulates and increases bile flow. Combats spastic colitis, indigestion, and intestinal pain.
- Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) is powerful digestive aid that combats nausea. Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and reduces fluid retention.
- Jasmine (Jasminum officinale) is used for muscle spasms, frigidity, depression, and nervous exhaustion. Brings out the feminine attributes.
- Harmony: Promotes physical and emotional healing by creating a harmonic balance for the energy centers of the body. It brings us into harmony with all things, people, and cycles of life. It is beneficial in reducing stress and amplifying well-being. Combats feelings of discord. It is also uplifting and elevating to the mind creating a positive attitude.
- PanAway Reduces pain and inflammation, increases circulation, and accelerates healing. Relieves swelling and discomfort from arthritis, sprains, muscle spasms and cramps, bumps, and bruises.
- Peace & Calming Promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace and emotional well-being, helping to dampen tensions and uplift spirits. When massaged on the bottom of the feet, it can be a wonderful prelude to a peaceful night’s rest. It may calm overactive and hard-to-manage children. Reduces depression, anxiety, stress, and insomnia.
- Release Helps release anger and memory trauma from the liver in order to create emotional well-being. Letting go of negative emotions and frustration enables one to progress in a positive way.
- Surrender Helps one surrender aggression and a control – ling attitude. Stress and tension are released quickly when we surrender our own will.
- Trauma Life Releases buried emotional trauma (ie., accidents, death of loved ones, assault, abuse). It combats stress and uproots traumas that cause insomnia, anger, restlessness, and a weakened immune response.
- Valor Balances energies to instill courage, confidence, and self-esteem. It helps the body self-correct its balance and alignment.
- Cel-Lite Magic enhances circulation and helps to provide nutrients to reduce fat and cellulite.
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil An anti-inflammatory and pain-killing complex of vegetable and essential oils. Ideal for strained, swollen, or torn muscles and ligaments.. Also combats insect bites, dermatitis, and itching.
- Ortho Sport An anti-inflammatory and pain-killing complex of vegetable and essential oils. Ideal for strained, swollen, or torn muscles and ligaments. It has a higher phenol content than Ortho Ease and produces a greater warming sensation.
- Relaxation Massage Oil Promotes relaxation and eases tension.
- Aroma Siez, An advanced complex of anti-inflammatory, muscle-relaxing essential oils that promote circulation and treat spasmed, tight, inflamed, aching muscles resulting from injury, fatigue, or stress. It also relieves headaches.
- Relieve It: High in anti-inflammatory compounds that relieve deep tissue pain and muscle soreness.
- Black Pepper: Medical Properties: Analgesic, stimulates metabolism, antifungal USES: Obesity, arthritis. digestive problems, fatigue, nerve/muscle pain, fungal infections
- Deep Relief Roll-on: Deep Relief Roll-on Formulated for the convenient relief of muscle soreness and tension. Soothes sore joints and ligaments, helps calm stressed nerves and reduces inflammation. This powerful blend contains nine essential oils, most of which are for their anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving characteristics. The convenient roll-on tube provides for highly portable, convenient, no-mess application.
- Copaiba: Medical Properties: Anti-inflammatory (powerful), mucolytic, anti-ulcer, antiseptic. USES: pain relief (strong anti-inflammatory), arthritis, rheumatism, skin disorders, insect bites, stomach distress, urinary disorders, sore throat
- Basil: Medical Properties: Powerful antispasmodic, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant USES: Migraines, throat/lung infections, insect bites
Young Living Essential Oils Distributor, # 1156558
I'm looking forward to helping you get "on with living" in a happy, healthy, chemical and pain-free way as I, my family and our pets have.