Anxiety can a consuming part of our emotions and society, especially in these times with all of the stresses of the economy. Stress can be the root of many ailments which we may be experiencing in our life.
There are many natural ways of calming our lives and emotions. Most importantly is to try to achieve a calm environment in a natural way, rather than with medications. Of course, not all circumstances can work this way.
Prayer, meditation, yoga, soft music, walks outdoors, an aromatherapy soak in the tub, time with family, friends and pets, are some all-natural ways that my be calming.
Another alternative suggestion is essential oil therapy. Essential oils may be used topically, internally, or by inhalation and diffusing the resulting anti-anxiety effects are due to the power of aromatherapy on the brain through the olfactory system. The Young Living essential oils mentioned below are known for anxiety therapy and may used in the following ways.
Methods of Application for the Selected Essential Oils
- Bedtime: Apply 2-4 drops of essential oil to the soles of the feet, then, brush the remaining amount of the essential oil onto your pillow.
- Aromatic Bath: Put 2-5 drops of any of the following essential oils in a 1 cup of Epsom Salt, stir together well, add to running bath water, soak for 20 minutes.
- Diffuse: Diffuse any of the following essential oils in a diffuser for 15-20 minutes, 2-4 times a day. More on Diffusers and Diffusing.
- Direct Inhalation: Put one drop in your palm, rub palms together, then cup your hands over your nose and take several nice long deep inhalations. (Be mindful to not touch your face with your hands, just cup your hands about an inch away from your nose and face.)
- Massage: This is one of the most popular applications. Use 2-4 drops of your chosen essential oil with 1 TBSP V-6 Massage Oil (a YL carrier oil). Massage mixture onto skin for a restorative and relaxing effect.
- Food & Beverage Flavoring: NOTE: Only the single essential oils listed below (orange, chamomile, ylang ylang and lavender) are edible. Add one drop to a cup of tea or glass of water for flavoring and zero calories. Flavoring foods is too long to write about here but you can learn how easy it is to do by following these guidelines. There are many recipes on the blog that are easy and delicious for you to enjoy.
Oils Known for Their Anti-Anxiety Properties
Orange oil (#3602) has a rich, fruity scent that lifts the spirit while providing a calming influence on the body. Orange brings peace and happiness to the mind.** Orange and Lavender in equal proportions combined are excellent for easing anxiety as shown in these studies.
- Roman Chamomile oil (#3512) has a warm, sweet, herbaceous scent that is relaxing and calming for both mind and body. Its gentleness makes it especially valuable for restless children.*
- Ylang Ylang oil (#3659) has a sweet, soft, flowery scent that has made it a romantic favorite. In Indonesia, the petals are often strewn across a marriage bed. Ylang ylang is extremely effective in calming and bringing about a sense of relaxation, and it may help with releasing feelings of anger, tension, and nervous irritability.*
- Lavender oil (#3575) has a fresh, sweet, floral, herbaceous aroma that is soothing and refreshing. Because it is the most versatile of all essential oils, no home should be without it. Lavender is an adaptogen, and therefore can assist the body when adapting to stress or other emotional imbalances. It is a well-known aid for relaxing and winding down before bedtime, yet has balancing properties that can also boost stamina and energy. Therapeutic-grade lavender is highly regarded for skin and beauty. It may be used to soothe and cleanse common cuts, bruises, and skin irritations.*
Oil Blends Known to Help with Anxiety
- Valor (#3429) blend is an empowering combination of therapeutic-grade essential oils that works with both the physical and spiritual aspects of the body to increase feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem in the face of adversity. Renowned for its strengthening qualities, Valor enhances an individuals internal resources and to gain emotional strength and bring the body into balance.*
- Hope (#3357) may help you reconnect with feelings of strength and grounding, restoring hope for tomorrow. This unique blend brings together the benefits of essential oils with the power to uplift and balance the emotions, making you more open to the joys that lie ahead. It may also help to overcome severe, dark thoughts.*
- Peace and Calming (#3393) may help to bring us into a state of peace within ourselves, and to relieve stress from internal and external forces. It is a gentle, fragrant blend. When diffused, it helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit, promoting relaxation and a deep sense of peace. When massaged on the bottoms of the feet, it can be a wonderful prelude to a peaceful night’s rest. Peace & Calming may be especially calming and comforting to young children after an overactive and stressful day.**
- Present Time (#3396) has an empowering fragrance that heightens the sense of being “in the moment.” Concentrating on the past can be counterproductive. You can go forward and progress when you focus on the present time.*
- Joy (#3372) is a luxuriously exotic blend with uplifting overtones that creates magnetic energy and brings joy to the heart. When worn as cologne or perfume, Joy exudes an alluring and irresistible fragrance that inspires romance and togetherness. When diffused, it may be refreshing and uplifting.*
- Surrender (#3424) is a calming, soothing blend formulated for individuals who feel a need to be controlling. It helps quiet troubled hearts so that negative emotions can be released. Surrender may also help return feelings of equilibrium and inner strength.*
- Acceptance (#3303) may help us to accept what ever it is we feel we cannot control and may help to stimulate the mind with oils specially blended to promote feelings of accepting ourselves and others, regardless of perceived barriers. This blend also helps overcome procrastination and denial.*
- Gentle Baby (#3345) may help to nurture the gentle baby within. It is s a soft, fragrant combination of essential oils designed specifically for mothers and babies. It helps calm emotions during pregnancy and is useful for quieting troubled little ones. It is also soothing to tender skin and can be used topically for achy-crampy muscles.*
Release (#3408) may help to release that which seems to bind us and hold us back. Release combines uplifting, calming oils that stimulate a sense of peace and emotional well-being, which in turn facilitate the ability to release anger and frustration. Repressed negative emotions lie at the root of many health concerns. Release promotes harmony and balance in the mind and body.*
Trauma Life (#6350) may help to bring a sensation of support and calm to those suffering from traumatic experiences such as phobias and fears. It is a calming, grounding blend of therapeutic-grade essential oils formulated to help release buried emotional trauma resulting from accidents, neglect, the death of a loved one, assault, or abuse. Left unchecked, emotionally draining episodes may be at the root of fatigue, anger, and restlessness.*
- White Angelica (#3432) may help to protect our Aura and energetic fields from external forces and entities that work to rob us of our energy, to enable us to be strong and feel protected. White Angelica is a calming and soothing blend that encourages feelings of protection and security. It combines oils used during ancient times to enhance the body’s aura, which brings about a sense of strength and endurance. Many people use it as protection against negative energy. White Angelica works great applied to shoulders and lightly brushed down the body.*
CAUTION: NONE of the Young Living essential oil blends mentioned above should be taken internally as they contain some essential oils that are not edible.
May we all experience peace, calm, happiness, good health and good times in our lives that are anxiety free!!
**Possible skin sensitivity. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Dilution with a carrier oil, such as V-6, is recommended for both topical and internal use. Dilute before using on sensitive areas such as the face, neck, genital area, etc. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid using on infants and very small children. Avoid using on skin exposed to direct sunlight or UV rays.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information refers solely to products from Young Living Essential Oils and is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, and claim to cure, treat or prevent any disease. We urge you to do the health related research necessary to learn what is right for you. Young Living has only therapeutic grade oils. Perfume grade or poor quality oils may possibly be harmful due to unknown additives and poor plant or distillation conditions. US labeling for essential oils is governed by the Perfume Act, allowing labels to say “100% pure essential oil” and by law contain only 5% of any grade .