“Research by Jean Valnet, M.D., showed that vaporized lemon oil can kill meningococcus bacteria in 15 minutes, typhoid bacilli in one hour, Staphylococcus aureus in two hours, and Pneumococcus bacteria within three hours. Even a 0.2% solution of lemon oil can kill diphtheria bacteria in 20 minutes and inactivate tuberculosis bacteria. Lemon oil has been widely used in skin care to cleanse skin and reduce wrinkles and combat acne. Lemon has shown to have antidepressant effects in research done by Komori, et al., 1995.”
Jean Valnet MD estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of lemon essential oil – use it sparingly when flavoring beverages or foods. In his book, “The Practice of Aromatherapy”, Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system.*
University researchers in Japan found that diffusing certain aromas in an office environment dramatically improved mental accuracy and concentration. Diffused lemon resulted in 54 percent fewer errors. Diffuse for 10 minutes ever hour.
Lemon (Citrus limon) has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. It may serve as an insect repellent and may be beneficial for the skin.
Essential oils have been here on earth since the beginning of time and we are very fortunate to have them available for those seeking natural solutions to daily life. Young Living’s 100% pure, organic essential oils have many uses and I hope you enjoy reading and learning how to use Lemon oil.
Learn more about using Lemon and other therapeutic essential oils in my free Essential Oil User’s Guide.
28 Uses for Lemon Oil
- Use 6 drops of Lemon oil and 6 drops of Purification oil in a squirt bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom as an air freshener.
- Add 1-2 drops to your water, tastes really good and alkalines the water.
- Use 1-2 drops of Lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
- Use 1 drop of Lemon oil to add flavor to baked goods or beverages.
- For homemade lemonade, in a blender mix 2 drops of Lemon oil, 2 tablespoons of honey and two cups of pure water. Adjust the amount of each ingredient to suit your own taste.
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and evenings.*
- To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into the water and stir. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
- Add 2-3 drops of Lemon oil to water and spray counter tops to sterilize them.
- Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and a drop of Lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil on your hands after using a public bathroom.*
- Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of Lemon oil to sanitize bathroom fixtures.
- Place a drop of Lemon oil on cold sores, herpes or other mouth ulcers to lessen pain, may aid in healing.
- Put a drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gum’s caused by gingivitis or tooth extraction.
- Put a drop of Lemon oil on oily skin or acne to balance sebaceous glands (oil glands).*
- Rub several drops of Lemon oil on cellulite, may improve circulation and help eliminate waste from the cells.*
- Rub two drops of Lemon oil topically, may clear athlete’s foot.*
- Rub several drops of Lemon oil on varicose veins, may improve circulation and relieve pressure on the veins.*
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a wart morning and night, may help it to disappears.*
- Rub a drop of Lemon oil to clean a butcher’s block or other cutting surfaces.
- Put 10-15 drops of Lemon oil in each gallon of carpet cleaning solution to help pull out stains and brighten the rug. This also leaves a fresh scent in the room.
- Fill clean sink with clean water, then place fresh eggs, in the water and add (1) drop of Young Living Essential Oil. You’ll see it quickly spread over the top of the water. Let the eggs soak a few minutes, then remove and air dry. Not only will they keep longer, you will have effectively neutralized undesirable any unwanted bacteria.
- After soaking cutting surfaces, sponges, produce, etc. wipe your sink down with the lemon water before discarding it, your sink will be sparkling clean and sanitized.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon essential oil to one-cup mineral oil for an effective furniture polish.
- For general household cleaning purposes, it works well for removing gum, wood stain, oil, and grease spots.*
- Add a few drops to your dishwasher for spot free dishes.
- Diffuse to freshen your home or add a few drops to a spray bottle to deodorize and sterilize the air.
- Add two drops to water for purification or combine with peppermint (Mentha piperita) to provide a refreshing lift.
- Add ten drops to a cotton ball and place inside your vacuum cleaner.
How to Make Your Own Lemon Spray Cleaner
- Instead of purchasing standard household cleaners for surfaces, you can create your own natural, safe version by filling a plastic spray bottle with water.
- Combine 2–3 drops of lemon essential oil with water in a 4 oz. spray bottle filled with water to clean and sanitize surfaces in the kitchen or bathroom.
- Shake the spray bottle well, and your homemade cleaner is ready to spray.
- This simple solution is extremely economical, yet it cleans and disinfects as well as any commercial cleaner.
Please keep in mind that some of the oils, if used directly, may stain some surfaces, such as linoleum.
How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
- For dietary, aromatic or topical use. When using as a supplement, put one drop in a capsule or in 4 fl. oz. of goat, almond or rice milk.
- Dilution with V-6 Massage Oil (a carrier oil) is recommended when used topically. Dilute 1 drop Lemon with 1 teaspoon V-6.
Please note: Most commercially available lemon essential oils DO NOT HAVE the above potential. They are possibly diluted with clear, odorless antifreeze (profit measure)… again, from unjust practices. Don’t waste your money.
* CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours. Note: ingesting citrus oils does not cause photosensitivity.
Note: All essential oils are NOT created equal. Most essential oils are of lower quality. Therefore, do NOT use the information provided here for other brands. Learn why quality is so important.
Young Living Essential Oils Distributor, # 1156558
I’m looking forward to helping you get “on with living” in a happy, healthy, chemical and pain-free way as I, my family and our pets have.
Learn how to save 24% off retail prices as a wholesale customer!