A foot massage is an excellent treat any time of year to help relieve tension and stress after a hectic day. Whether part of a romantic foot massage or for showing someone you want to help them feel more comfortable after a long hectic day – foot massage is a terrific way to wind-down. Why not start a new pattern with your partner, or a loved one who can use a little TLC, and take Valentine’s Day as the starting point.
6 Tips for Giving a Great Foot Massage
You don’t need to be an expert to give a good foot massage but it is important to know some basics:
- Have the recipient lean back against a pillow or couch, and make sure they are comfortable and relaxed.
- Don’t use too much pressure (particularly on the arch of the foot) as this can be painful
- Don’t use too light a touch as this can tickle and can make some people feel more tense or ruin the mood. Ask the recipient how much pressure feels good to them. Also keep in mind that one foot may be more sensitive in some spots than the other; some spots in general may be more sensitive due to sensitivities on the reflex points and a softer touch on those may be helpful to the recipient.
- The recipients knees should be slightly bet as to not lock the knee’s; a pillow or rolled up towel under the knee’s (if they are laying on their back), or the pillow placed under their ankles (if the are laying face-down).
- Massage slowly and gently to induce relaxation and try to maintain contact with the person at all times.
- Long fingernails should be trimmed as it is the ‘pad’ of the fingertips that make a foot massage feel so wonderful.
Using Essential Oils to Enhance a Foot Massage
Using therapeutic-grade essential oils can enhance the effects of any type of massage, reflexology or bodywork. The benefits of therapeutic essential oils provide positive effects on all levels of the physical body, spiritual body, and the soul through their healing properties through the skin and through smell.
After your recipient is in a comfortable position place a couple drops of essential oil(s) on the soles of each foot, and hold your palms against the soles of their feet; while both of you relax, connect, align energies, and breathe.
Then, take about a half teaspoon of your chosen carrier oil and gently rub it onto one foot with palms flat. After the carrier oil has been spread around evenly begin the massage.
Follow this link to see step-by-step foot massage movements and video.
Romantic Foot Massage Essential Oil Recipe for Valentine’s Day
- 1 drop Ginger essential oil
- 1 drop Rose, Ylang Ylang or Jasmine essential oil
- 1 drop Sandalwood essential oil
- 1 teaspoon carrier oil, such as V-6 Massage Oil
The essential oils can be dripped onto the soles of the foot and gently spread on the soles and tops of each foot.
Or, you can make a small bottle of this blend by mixing 8 drops of each of the three essential oils with four tablespoons of carrier oil, such as V-6 Massage Oil.
Tip: Place all ingredients into a small glass bottle or jar. Your massage blends should always be made in smaller amounts so they are fresher. It is best not to mix more than what you would go through within 2-3 months.
Too Busy to Mix Your Own Massage Blend? No Problem!
For those who do not wish to mix their own blend from the recipe above here are some suggested YL essential oil blends that are excellent choices for foot massages:
- Romantic: Sensation, Live with Passion, Harmony
- Relaxing: Peace and Calming, Gentle Baby, Dream Catcher, Surrender
- Balancing: Dragon Time (for her), Mister (for him), Valor, Acceptance, Envision
- Lively: Awaken, Motivation, En-R-Gee, Highest Potential
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Articles by Evelyn Vincent, Young Living Independent Distributor #476766
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." ~ R. Buckminster Fuller